With the festive season upon us, we find ourselves reflecting on the past year and the joyous memories that make this time so special. In the spirit of gratitude and sharing and creating lasting moments with the important people in your life, here are some heartwarming ideas to help you savour, capture, and cherish the happiness of times past. Writing has therapeutic benefits for your physical well-being. It’s not just an intellectual exercise; it’s a way to express and release emotions, reduce stress, and promote overall wellness. Give it a go and see for yourself.
If you are getting together with family and friends
- Encourage everyone to jot down a few bullet points about their favourite moments from the past year. Then take turns reading and reminiscing about the shared joy.
- Organise a festive photo scavenger hunt. Create a list of holiday-themed items or activities and capture them with your camera or on your phone.
- Start a writing project. Collate the memories of shared joy, the snapshots you’ve taken, add some narrative. Transform this into a cherished album (or two) and share it with your loved ones.
If you can’t get together in person
- You could host a virtual gathering with friends or family to share your favourite memories. Whether it’s a hilarious holiday mishap or a heartwarming moment, the joy of reminiscing together knows no bounds. If you document these memories afterwards, you could send everyone a copy in the mail.
- Pen a heartfelt letter to a loved one, recalling shared moments and expressing gratitude. It’s a timeless gesture that will be treasured.
- Start a new hobby. Compile a family/friends recipe book featuring the favourite dishes from past holiday gatherings. Include anecdotes about why each recipe is special. It’s a delightful way to preserve culinary traditions and memories. It’s also makes a great birthday or Christmas present for the future
Wellbeing matters. Express gratitude and savour, capture and cherish the happiness of times past, and notice the benefits. Let me know how you get on 😊
Dr Angela Robertson is an author, inspirational speaker, and facilitator with more than 40 years’ experience in adult and community development. She inspires and supports individuals of all ages to maximise their potential to enhance the quality of their lives, work, and relationships. Working with individuals, groups, and communities she encourages people to broaden their perspective on ageing, continually expand their horizons, take advantage of the opportunities around them, channel their energy into activities that matter. She also provides one-on-one professional support to assist families create living legacies for future generations.